Company Formation Hong Kong

Obtaining Special Permits and Licenses in Hong Kong

Updated on Friday 20th May 2016

Rate this article
5 5 1
based on 0 reviews

Special-Permits-and-Licenses-in-Hong-KongBusiness licenses in Hong Kong

According to the Trade and Industry Department in Hong Kong all companies are required to apply for a business license according to the specifics of its activities. The following business licenses are available in Hong Kong: food licenses, license for non-food goods and service licenses. However, there are business activities that require special licenses or permits that can only be obtained with the relevant authorities in Hong Kong. Among these money services operators, telecommunication companies and traveling agencies are required to obtain special licenses and are also required to satisfy certain conditions, such as having a minimum share capital in order to properly function.

Financial services special permits in Hong Kong

Chapter 615 in the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing Ordinance (AMLO) is the main regulatory legislation stating the requirements and special licenses a financial institution, bank or insurance company must obtain in Hong Kong before commencing operating. All money service operators in Hong Kong are required to apply for a special permit with the Commissioner and Customs and Excise (CCE) Office. The special license obtained with the CCE will contain information the addresses of each unit of the money service operator, the validity the special permit and will be issued according to Section 30, 31 or 32 in the AMLO depending on the type of service provided. The licenses have a two-year validity period and can be renewed.

Telecommunication special licenses in Hong Kong

All telecommunication operators in Hong Kong are required to apply for a special license with the Communication Authority. Depending on the type of company an operator wants to open, the following special licenses can be obtained in Hong Kong:

  1. carrier licenses,
  2. public radiocommunications service licenses,
  3. service-based operator licenses.

Also depending on the type of special permit obtained there are several class licenses. Among these there are the class licenses for short range devices, for taxi mobile stations, for telecommunication services, or for public wireless local area network services.

Special food licenses in Hong Kong

Depending on the type of food facilities provided, all restaurants, bars and catering companies in Hong Kong are required to obtain certain special permits. These special licenses are divided in categories depending on the services provided. Among them we can find special permits for beverages and tobacco, for vegetables and fruits, for dairy products, for fish and crustaceans or meat.

If you want to set up a company and need advice on the best type of business and required licenses you can contact our specialists in company incorporation in Hong Kong.




There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.

Meet us in Hong Kong

Call us now at + 852 8191 3385  to set up an appointment with our company formation experts in Hong Kong. As a DM Advisory client, you will benefit from the joint expertise of local lawyers and consultants for opening an offshore company in Hong Kong.

We offer:

- prompt response to your inquiry (maxim 24 hours);

- cost-efficiency: competitive company formation prices;

- free and complete legal information featured on our site, at your disposal.



I have been working with partners at for several years now and I am extremely pleased with their services. Their team helped my clients extend their businesses in Hong Kong.

Francesco Dagnino, Partner of
Lexia Avvocati

Read more testimonials

We Recommend ClientPedia

This website is marketed by ClientPedia

Banner-Promoting ClientPedia-244px.jpg

We accept online payments